Skip to main content

Venice

ITALY HERE WE COME! You will not be surprised to hear that today was another crazy day in the land of Contiki. We left our Austria hotel at 8am and checked into our Venice hotel at 10pm. Here is what we did in between:

First stop in Italy was a service station. They had real Italian pizza and paninis as well as free bathrooms for when you’re done with your Italian pizza and paninis. I was so excited about the thin crust, light sauce and italian salami that I had to take a picture. Delicious!

IMG_0624

Now off to Venice. Venice is an island and there are no vehicles allowed so we had two options to get there: a 2.5 hour walk from some place that I can’t remember or a 20 minute ferry ride across some body of water that I can’t remember. We chose the ferry. On the ferry I took some pictures of buildings that I can’t remember. Here they are:

IMG_0632IMG_0631

The port we docked at is right next to Saint Marc’s square. This is the most popular place for people to start their visit in Venice so it was pretty packed. We made our way through the crowds to the square and met with our guide for the “walking tour” of Venice. I took a lot of pictures in the square while she was telling us about the history of the country and Saint Marc’s Church. Here are a few:

IMG_0634IMG_0638

IMG_0675IMG_0670

IMG_0669IMG_0671

I take a lot of pictures of buildings because they are cool. Sometimes a pigeon crashes my photo but that’s OK because his life sucks and this is all he has.

Between our tour guide walking fast, our 45-person group, the super-narrow streets and the amount of stone buildings her voice would cut out quite often – especially if you were near the back. I didn’t really mind because she ended most of her words with “ah” in a very strong accent and it was distracting. “We need-ah to find-ah some shade-ah” is one example. We did need plenty of shade though – it was hot as hell.

After our tour ended we grabbed some pizza and gelato (yes!) then went on gondola rides. I must have had gelato on my face or my fly was down because I was drawing a lot of attention:

IMG_0678

As usual I took a lot of photos and tried to be artsy in the process:

IMG_0693IMG_0691

IMG_0695IMG_0680IMG_0681

Our gondolier got an important call from the Prime Minister during our ride we so had to pull over for a minute. Or maybe it was his Parole Officer – I don’t speak Italian.

After the gondola ride we went to dinner at one of the many Italian restaurants they have in Venice. It was a lovely six course meal with live entertainment. They must constantly run specials on accordions in Europe because they LOVE that shit.

IMG_0711IMG_0707

The six course meal went as follows: Cold Apps, Risotto, Pasta, Pasta, Pasta, Lemon Ice. It was hilarious. After the second round of pasta I thought for sure it was dessert time but out came Penne with Pesto. I actually left the restaurant to go for a walk and get an espresso to help digest. Took these along the way:

IMG_0721  IMG_0722

By the time we left Venice it was already night time.

IMG_0727

Day 7 complete. Bye Venice. I will see you again!

IMG_0705

Comments

  1. Wow, great shots. I have a few comments:

    -That Italian Architecture is blowing my mind. Why didnt they bring that to America when they brought all the spices and whatnot!

    -The pigeon v the Winged Lion is an awesome shot. I got $ on the Winged Lion.

    -Is there more than one leaning tower in Italy or is that just the picture?

    -Is Venice sinking?

    Keep it up, bro. I hope im not bogging down your blog but i've been checking everyday - whats the point if im not gonna comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I have no idea. We were in Rome today and the coliseum was just insane. We have all day tomorrow to look around and I think it will melt my brain.

    That sounds like a safe bet but the pigeon ended up shitting on the lion while he just sat there. You owe me $5.

    The picture is crooked. I was drunk I think. Just kidding. We see the real leaning tower on Monday I think.

    Yes Venice is sinking. Apparently their engineers are working on solutions but as of yet have not found any. This place was amazing so I hope they figure it out. I want to come back.

    Not at all man it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam would make a good tour guide as long as Google is available to him. Great info on the Gold Roof thing. Just so you know 110 km. = 68.4 mph. Keep enjoying. I finally feel a desire to go to Europe. Made Dad happy - so who knows - Social Security kicks in shortly so maybe we will go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat - Aunt Murray and I are still laughing over some of your comments. Should have been a writer. Have fun. Grandma Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Social security doesn't kick in as soon as your Dads, (he is older than Gary you know) but I think I am becoming jealous also, may have to join your parents only if you, because of your experience of being there, and Adam's due to his knowledge of Google, chapperone us. Great pictures and tremendous commentaries!! Loving it.
    Barb & Gary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Yes! I love google, and Europe! I'm in! Hope u like the cold 'cuz we're goin' in the winter! Swiss Alps, here we come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam....we live in a Liverpool, a suburb of Syracuse......we know cold!!

    Barb & Gary

    Patrick Thanks for the blog so I can "talk" with Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Ah I'm glad my trip is bringing everyone closer together back home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful pictures. take it all in. it goes by real fast. glad you're having a good time. how crazy were those damn pigeons in st marks square though? ew gross!!! so many churches in italy though, huh? beautiful architecture though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Venice looks beautiful.. that is def a place I want to go see.... there is so much to see.. you make me laugh with your comments. Have you gone to the beach yet????
    Annaliah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rhine Valley to Lucerne

Today was mostly a driving day. It was around three hours on the bus in the morning with an hour stop in the afternoon before leaving Germany. I believe it was somewhere in the black forest region but I didn’t get the name of the town because I was sleeping. We took some pics with a cool waterfall and I ate some kind of bratensteinwurst and then we  drove the last few hours to Lucerne. Waterfall action: Ashlee always asks to get in my pictures and then she stands there like I have a gun to her back. She’s so weird. Then we get to Lucerne in the late afternoon and stop at another of Contiki’s partners: Harry’s Swiss Watch Center. They sell Swiss army knives, watches and chocolate at excellent prices. I didn’t take any pictures of this shop because it was boring. Then I went outside to get Swiss Franks out of the ATM since we will be here for a few days and they don’t do the Euro thing. Because they’re independent. Or shady. This was taken near the ATM machine. The girls ask me to

Nice to Chateau

Well we have to leave Nice today. And it’s supposed to be sunny and fantastic. Oh well. Adil had the great idea to go down and see the sunrise before we left since yesterday was kind of a bust. Sunrise was around 6am which isn’t that bad – it’s like a work day – but I was up until 2am so I was pretty tired. I thought about just staying in bed but I would have regretted it and I had plenty of time to sleep on the bus so I rallied and went downstairs. We got there probably 20 minutes early and discovered that our lookout point was actually a homeless person’s bedroom. She was just waking up though so she invited us in for some tea and biscuits. It was nice. As the sunrise got closer, we realized that there was a flaw in our plan: Nice is in a bit of a cove (as is evident in my pictures yesterday) and the sun’s path was not something we considered. I just assumed it was more southerly (sure why not) and over the water. Here I point out Nice on the map. There is no way the sun would make