Skip to main content

Austria

WOW! I think today was the craziest day we’ve had yet. We left Lucerne at 8am and got to our hotel in Innsbruck at 8pm. We stopped only to brave some rapids, have some lunch and conquer an Olympic bobsled track. As you’ve seen, most of our days have similar amounts of action but this one was more physically involved than just walking around snapping photos. I found it funny that one of Austria’s main exports is Red Bull energy drink. It’s like you’re not allowed entry into the country unless you do something extreme. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to take many photos on this day, which works out in my benefit because I was screaming a lot. Just kidding I’m hardcore. Less pictures = more writing. Sorry.

The rapids were Class 3 and they ran down a river called the Inn. They didn’t tell us too much more than that because this trip is less about history and more about experiencing things, which is great. Although I can’t show you the amazing scenery along the river, the lovely people at Feelfree Rafting took some action shots for us to purchase. Isn’t that nice of them? Below is a photo of one of those photos. I’m in the front (left side of picture) in the red jacket.

IMG_0731

There were four pictures of each raft and two of the pictures had much more action than this but there were waves blocking my face. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not down with waves blocking my face so I bought this one even though it looks pretty calm on the river. I like it better anyways because everyone is smiling and laughing. It really captures how much fun we were having despite feeling like our arms were going to rip off. It’s been two days and my back still feels like I was playing frisbee with a bus. Absolutely one of the highlights of the trip.

After the rapids we all got naked and played frisbee with our bus. Wait no. We got back on the bus and passed out immediately from exhaustion. We drove a bit and stopped in the town of Innsbruck where we would eventually set up camp. We had some free time to have lunch and sightsee although Innsbruck has very few sights to see. One of the sights was the Swarovsky Crystal shop since this is where the crystals originated. This was only interesting if you have a vagina so I left straight away. I had spent so much money eating in Switzerland that I decided it was time to have some Euro McDonalds. It was kind of like the McDonalds at home except it didn’t seem as fatty. But neither do Europeans so that makes sense.

The other sight to see in Innsbruck is the Golden Roof. Unfortunately I forgot the history of this monument because I was pretty groggy at the time but I did snap a photo and I can always Google it in the future if I decide to give a shit. Here it is:

IMG_0552

Once our break ended we drove up the mountain to meet with the bobsled people. The bobsledding took place on the same track that was/is used in the Olympics. It’s not covered in ice in the summer and they use wheeled sleds which are very similar but don’t go quite as fast. They supplied the driver so we didn’t have to worry about that and we didn’t have to push the sled and jump in either - they strapped us in and someone else pushed. There were some serious curves where we experienced heavy g-forces and got slammed around a lot but it was great fun. This is what it looked like:

IMG_0562

It topped off at 110km/hr around this part of the track but I have no idea what that means in English. I just know that metal bars are the worst way to stabilize a person’s head ever. Here is our sled finishing its run. I’m in the back.

IMG_0609

As we were leaving the track the sun and clouds came together on the horizon and I took one last photo before heading to the hotel and passing out:

IMG_0613

That ended Day whatever. I think maybe it’s 6. Such craziness!

Comments

  1. Here you go:

    Golden Roof - The Golden Roof (German: Goldenes Dachl) is a landmark in Innsbruck, Austria built in 1500. It was decorated with 2657 fire-gilded copper tiles for Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor. The reliefs on the balcony show coats of arms, symbols and other figures in his life. It was constructed for Emperor Maximilian I to serve as a royal box where he could sit in state and enjoy tournaments in the square below. Completed at the dawn of the 16th century, the Golden Roof was built in honor of Maximilian's second marriage, to Bianca Maria Sforza of Milan. Not wishing to alienate the allies gained by his first marriage, to Maria of Burgundy, he had an image of himself between the two women painted on his balcony.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rhine Valley to Lucerne

Today was mostly a driving day. It was around three hours on the bus in the morning with an hour stop in the afternoon before leaving Germany. I believe it was somewhere in the black forest region but I didn’t get the name of the town because I was sleeping. We took some pics with a cool waterfall and I ate some kind of bratensteinwurst and then we  drove the last few hours to Lucerne. Waterfall action: Ashlee always asks to get in my pictures and then she stands there like I have a gun to her back. She’s so weird. Then we get to Lucerne in the late afternoon and stop at another of Contiki’s partners: Harry’s Swiss Watch Center. They sell Swiss army knives, watches and chocolate at excellent prices. I didn’t take any pictures of this shop because it was boring. Then I went outside to get Swiss Franks out of the ATM since we will be here for a few days and they don’t do the Euro thing. Because they’re independent. Or shady. This was taken near the ATM machine. The girls ask me to

Venice

ITALY HERE WE COME! You will not be surprised to hear that today was another crazy day in the land of Contiki. We left our Austria hotel at 8am and checked into our Venice hotel at 10pm. Here is what we did in between: First stop in Italy was a service station. They had real Italian pizza and paninis as well as free bathrooms for when you’re done with your Italian pizza and paninis. I was so excited about the thin crust, light sauce and italian salami that I had to take a picture. Delicious! Now off to Venice. Venice is an island and there are no vehicles allowed so we had two options to get there: a 2.5 hour walk from some place that I can’t remember or a 20 minute ferry ride across some body of water that I can’t remember. We chose the ferry. On the ferry I took some pictures of buildings that I can’t remember. Here they are: The port we docked at is right next to Saint Marc’s square. This is the most popular place for people to start their visit in Venice so it was pretty packe

Nice to Chateau

Well we have to leave Nice today. And it’s supposed to be sunny and fantastic. Oh well. Adil had the great idea to go down and see the sunrise before we left since yesterday was kind of a bust. Sunrise was around 6am which isn’t that bad – it’s like a work day – but I was up until 2am so I was pretty tired. I thought about just staying in bed but I would have regretted it and I had plenty of time to sleep on the bus so I rallied and went downstairs. We got there probably 20 minutes early and discovered that our lookout point was actually a homeless person’s bedroom. She was just waking up though so she invited us in for some tea and biscuits. It was nice. As the sunrise got closer, we realized that there was a flaw in our plan: Nice is in a bit of a cove (as is evident in my pictures yesterday) and the sun’s path was not something we considered. I just assumed it was more southerly (sure why not) and over the water. Here I point out Nice on the map. There is no way the sun would make