Skip to main content

Florence

Florence here we come! If I remember correctly, Florence is about four hours from Rome. But if you haven’t noticed, I don’t remember correctly. We stopped at an overlook when we got close to Florence in order to take our official Contiki group photo. They chose a nice backdrop (the city of Florence) and it was taken by a professional which means it will be high quality, everyone will be in it, and they can charge us for it. I took a few pictures at the stop because the view was nice.

IMG_0870IMG_0873

IMG_0868IMG_0876IMG_0877

Poor statue never stood a chance.

When we got into Florence we were taken to a leather shop where they told us about the leather-making process and the best way to determine if something is real leather or fake leather. Florence is basically known for their leather. Ask me the leather trick some day and I’ll tell you.

IMG_0879

We were then directed into their jewelry shop to learn about how to spend money on jewelry.

Woman: “Ladies, we have jewelry!”

IMG_0880

Ladies: “OH MY GOD JEWELRY!”

IMG_0881

Or something like that.

After the shop we had a walking tour of Florence but I had done enough walking yesterday and I was still wearing the crocs so I skipped it and went to lunch instead. It was OK though because my lunch table was in a square right by this cool building and as long as I take a picture of a cool building, I’m still sightseeing.

IMG_0883

After lunch I just walked around for a bit. Got an espresso and some gelatto (GO ITALY!) and then it was time to hit the hotel. We met in another square before going to the bus and I stood in it while someone took a picture. Cool concept, right? I don’t know much about that church except that it’s called Basilica di Santa Croce and it complements my outfit pretty well. See my knock-off crocs? Oh yeah!

IMG_0892

The hotel is nice except that it has a huge iron gate and spikes on the fence. I thought it was the U.N. or the embassy when we pulled up.

IMG_0895

We have about an hour to get ready and then off to dinner!

IMG_0900IMG_0902

Tonight we were taken to a lovely Italian restaurant somewhere in the Tuscan hills to have the standard five-course dinner with live entertainment. This was a much fancier atmosphere than the other dinners so the food was better, the servers wore white gloves, and the entertainer played piano. Even better - he looked like Meatloaf and sounded like Elton John. He was so animated that I don’t think I got a single non-blurry picture of him.

IMG_0906                     IMG_0910

Sometime during dinner I got into a fight with the head waiter about olive oil. Apparently dipping the table bread in olive oil is “not something they do” in Italy. I did not know this but apparently I was supposed to. People at our table had asked the staff several times to bring some but they kept saying they’d check and then ignore the request. Finally the guy came over and said “Since you keep asking for olive oil I will bring it over, but I don’t understand why you want it.” To which I replied: “Good thing you don’t have to understand why I want it and you can just bring it to me because I’m the f-cking customer and I asked you for some f-cking olive oil!”

No that’s crazy I was only thinking that. I remained very calm and tried to understand why he was so offended and explained to him that so many Italians / Italian restaurants I know dip their bread in olive oil before dinner. He shook his head and then lectured me about not ordering cappuccinos after lunch because Italians don’t do that and how if we asked for olive oil in Rome they would know that we weren’t Italian. Really? You sure it won’t be because I’ll be asking them for olive oil in ENGLISH?! YOU F-CKING MORON!  It was a weird, pointless discussion and the whole thing really tweaked me (and him apparently). I eventually calmed down after tripping him in the hallway and beating him to death with a wine bottle. No I’m sorry that didn’t happen I shouldn’t joke about that. Guy was a dick though. Moving on…

We went to some crappy club after dinner which wasn’t really that crappy but I don’t give a crap about clubs so I only stayed until like midnight then I left with Tracey. But then Tracey’s friends convinced her to stay and I left with my cab driver. Had you going for a second, right? Me too! Alright well it gets worse because I drank a Red Bull after dinner with plans of staying out late so when I got back to the hotel I couldn’t sleep. Fast forward to 2:30am when everyone is already home from the club and passed out and I’m taking my third Melatonin pill. FAIL! Hahaha. Oh well. Can’t win ‘em all!

Day 10 OVA!

PEACE!

PS. Sorry for all of the hyphenated profanity. That guy really got to me.

Comments

  1. Reading between the hyphenated lines, (which are a riot!!) I am thinking someone needs to cut back on Red Bulls, Espressos and the likes and get some rest.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I am so dissappointed in myself that this is my first post, but I've been away in Texas for work. Anyway, you really look like you are having an AMAZING TIME! And you are totally inspiring me to do a Euro trip too! I'm glad I have not spotted the satellite phone in any pictures. Anyway, I'll read things in more detail tomorrow, but I quickly wanted to just comment that you should have just told the waiter that you wanted the Olive Oil "PRONTO". Inside joke, but seriously how could I not say it, your in Italy for crying out loud where it's actually acceptable to say that ha! And also, why have you not written about CANNOLIS yet? What is going on? You better eat one of those freaking things before you leave that country! Keep posting, can't wait to read more!!!
    -Patty (I don't know who to make a real profile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. why are you wearing crocs that give you blisters. go back to sneakers that will be hot but comfortable. you're sounding even more tired on this post. relax for the night and get some sleep. no more red bull

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom & Barb - Ok I DO need some rest. The next two days are very laid back in France (before we get to Paris) and I have a room to myself so I should be able to get good sleep. NO RED BULL. Definitely learned my lesson. I don't drink coffee after five so no problems there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PATTY I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU! Hahahaha I wish I thought of saying Pronto. Oh man. I was actually stunned by his reaction. Thanks! Yeah I think everyone should do this. I think I'm doing it again next year. :)
    Wow I'm a terrible Italian. I did not get a Cannoli at all and now I'm in France. I ate enough gelato though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get some rest Pat and yes why do you insist on wearing crocs??? lol I can't wait to see pics of France....
    Annaliah

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're actually really comfortable! I just didn't break them in and they're a half size too small. I can't wait to see pics of France either - let's see if I can get any when it stops raining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. -Jewelry! Hahaha, too funny.

    -no cannoli = ultimate fail

    -your hotel looks like prison, whats up w that?

    -the mystery building you shot during lunch is Palazzo Vecchio. Literally translated to "Old Palace" which is currently used as the Town Hall of Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everytime you ratcheted it back with the over-reaction to your waiter, you'd long jump the previous hypothetical outburst, and because of that, I laughed. You invoked emotion. You conquered writing.

    Great sutff man, that girl won the Florence photo album, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HA! Ya Adam I have no idea - it was a decent place too. Did you Google Goggles that building? I miss my phone!

    Thanks Chris. And yes she has been winning every day. It's extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rhine Valley to Lucerne

Today was mostly a driving day. It was around three hours on the bus in the morning with an hour stop in the afternoon before leaving Germany. I believe it was somewhere in the black forest region but I didn’t get the name of the town because I was sleeping. We took some pics with a cool waterfall and I ate some kind of bratensteinwurst and then we  drove the last few hours to Lucerne. Waterfall action: Ashlee always asks to get in my pictures and then she stands there like I have a gun to her back. She’s so weird. Then we get to Lucerne in the late afternoon and stop at another of Contiki’s partners: Harry’s Swiss Watch Center. They sell Swiss army knives, watches and chocolate at excellent prices. I didn’t take any pictures of this shop because it was boring. Then I went outside to get Swiss Franks out of the ATM since we will be here for a few days and they don’t do the Euro thing. Because they’re independent. Or shady. This was taken near the ATM machine. The girls ask me to

Venice

ITALY HERE WE COME! You will not be surprised to hear that today was another crazy day in the land of Contiki. We left our Austria hotel at 8am and checked into our Venice hotel at 10pm. Here is what we did in between: First stop in Italy was a service station. They had real Italian pizza and paninis as well as free bathrooms for when you’re done with your Italian pizza and paninis. I was so excited about the thin crust, light sauce and italian salami that I had to take a picture. Delicious! Now off to Venice. Venice is an island and there are no vehicles allowed so we had two options to get there: a 2.5 hour walk from some place that I can’t remember or a 20 minute ferry ride across some body of water that I can’t remember. We chose the ferry. On the ferry I took some pictures of buildings that I can’t remember. Here they are: The port we docked at is right next to Saint Marc’s square. This is the most popular place for people to start their visit in Venice so it was pretty packe

Nice to Chateau

Well we have to leave Nice today. And it’s supposed to be sunny and fantastic. Oh well. Adil had the great idea to go down and see the sunrise before we left since yesterday was kind of a bust. Sunrise was around 6am which isn’t that bad – it’s like a work day – but I was up until 2am so I was pretty tired. I thought about just staying in bed but I would have regretted it and I had plenty of time to sleep on the bus so I rallied and went downstairs. We got there probably 20 minutes early and discovered that our lookout point was actually a homeless person’s bedroom. She was just waking up though so she invited us in for some tea and biscuits. It was nice. As the sunrise got closer, we realized that there was a flaw in our plan: Nice is in a bit of a cove (as is evident in my pictures yesterday) and the sun’s path was not something we considered. I just assumed it was more southerly (sure why not) and over the water. Here I point out Nice on the map. There is no way the sun would make