Skip to main content

Homeward Bound

JUST KIDDING! Today I made one of the more expensive mistakes in my life - I missed my flight home. Apparently Virgin Airlines is the most popular airline in the world and this week is the most popular travel week of all time because I can’t get another flight until the 28th. Unless…

I book with another airline (Cost = 700GBP) or book an upgraded flight with this airline (Cost = 500GBP). Now if you remember from my first post, the USD sucks pretty hard over here. 500GBP will run me $815 USD but 700GBP will be $1,150 USD. So upgrading and staying with Virgin is cheaper, but not cheaper than $0 USD which is the price of not being late. So…

I am flying Premium Economy on Monday and landing in Newark, NJ at 11pm. Now I have to take a train back to my hotel to see if I can get a Contiki discounted rate for another night. Then I’m coming back to the airport 12 hours early so I never do this again. And now for the fun part that comes after every disaster: Finding the silver lining!

  • I get another day in London to see the changing of the guard, Saint Paul’s Cathedral and Westminster Abbey.
  • I get to spend the seven hour flight in Premium Economy instead of sucking on my knees in coach.
  • I finally got that horrible, horrible feeling out of the way that you get when you miss a flight and it costs you $1,000.
  • TBD Awesomeness.

PS. For anyone who is curious about how someone who is usually so prepared can miss a flight as important as this:

  • I didn’t check in online this morning because my hotel wifi wasn’t working.
  • The subway to the airport is supposed to take 45 minutes but took 2 hours due to construction and delays.
  • I got to the kiosk just before 1pm but it wasn’t scanning my passport properly. I went to a 2nd kiosk and this one  did scan my passport properly but printed an error message that I had to take to the window. I waited on line to get helped and the guy didn’t find my booking when he looked it up. He made a phone call to find my booking and they realized the computer was trying to check me into the 4:15 flight instead of the 2pm flight – that’s why it couldn’t find the booking. Now by the time all of this shit went down, it was 1:02pm. Everyone must be checked in at least 60 minutes before the flight – no exceptions. And that is how I missed my flight.

Comments

  1. I think this was planned from the get go.....you do eventually have to face reality and come back and go to work. Enjoy another day!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. Let me know if u need a ride from Newark, I don't care what time. I'll get u at 10 if u can't get a room. Let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya i was REALLY upset with myself this morning. Yes they screwed me over with their shitty passport scanning system and multiple phone calls that made me miss the deadline by 2 minutes, but I ALWAYS check-in online. ALWAYS. I would have made it.

    So yeah they put me on the later flight apparently. I get in at 1120. It's going to be quite a trick getting through customs and then making it from Newark to Penn before the 1am LIRR train. I'm just going to cab it to Penn and hope for the best. Otherwise it's a 3am train. Thanks dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be in the city tomorrow, I usually catch the 12:50 train from penn to LB. I can trip and injure myself in the doors of the train for as long as it takes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rhine Valley to Lucerne

Today was mostly a driving day. It was around three hours on the bus in the morning with an hour stop in the afternoon before leaving Germany. I believe it was somewhere in the black forest region but I didn’t get the name of the town because I was sleeping. We took some pics with a cool waterfall and I ate some kind of bratensteinwurst and then we  drove the last few hours to Lucerne. Waterfall action: Ashlee always asks to get in my pictures and then she stands there like I have a gun to her back. She’s so weird. Then we get to Lucerne in the late afternoon and stop at another of Contiki’s partners: Harry’s Swiss Watch Center. They sell Swiss army knives, watches and chocolate at excellent prices. I didn’t take any pictures of this shop because it was boring. Then I went outside to get Swiss Franks out of the ATM since we will be here for a few days and they don’t do the Euro thing. Because they’re independent. Or shady. This was taken near the ATM machine. The girls ask me to

Venice

ITALY HERE WE COME! You will not be surprised to hear that today was another crazy day in the land of Contiki. We left our Austria hotel at 8am and checked into our Venice hotel at 10pm. Here is what we did in between: First stop in Italy was a service station. They had real Italian pizza and paninis as well as free bathrooms for when you’re done with your Italian pizza and paninis. I was so excited about the thin crust, light sauce and italian salami that I had to take a picture. Delicious! Now off to Venice. Venice is an island and there are no vehicles allowed so we had two options to get there: a 2.5 hour walk from some place that I can’t remember or a 20 minute ferry ride across some body of water that I can’t remember. We chose the ferry. On the ferry I took some pictures of buildings that I can’t remember. Here they are: The port we docked at is right next to Saint Marc’s square. This is the most popular place for people to start their visit in Venice so it was pretty packe

Nice to Chateau

Well we have to leave Nice today. And it’s supposed to be sunny and fantastic. Oh well. Adil had the great idea to go down and see the sunrise before we left since yesterday was kind of a bust. Sunrise was around 6am which isn’t that bad – it’s like a work day – but I was up until 2am so I was pretty tired. I thought about just staying in bed but I would have regretted it and I had plenty of time to sleep on the bus so I rallied and went downstairs. We got there probably 20 minutes early and discovered that our lookout point was actually a homeless person’s bedroom. She was just waking up though so she invited us in for some tea and biscuits. It was nice. As the sunrise got closer, we realized that there was a flaw in our plan: Nice is in a bit of a cove (as is evident in my pictures yesterday) and the sun’s path was not something we considered. I just assumed it was more southerly (sure why not) and over the water. Here I point out Nice on the map. There is no way the sun would make