Skip to main content

Paris

Had a hard time getting up today with all of the socializing last night but this is the last full day of sightseeing on our tour. I had plans of getting on the road at 8am to beat the crowds and see more but I woke up at 8am instead. No big deal. Our bus was driving everyone in at 9am anyways – I just wanted to take the train in early.

We got dropped off at the Louvre but I figured I would do the Louvre at the end of the day because it’s gigantic and I didn’t want to spend all of my time there. My goals were this: Palais Garnier (Paris Opera), Arc de Triomphe, Napolean’s Tomb, Notre Dame, Louvre. I decided to walk everywhere today unless it rained because I wanted to see as much as I could. There is great architecture everywhere. On my way to the Opera House, something amazing happened:

IMG_1178

After throwing out yet another shitty espresso I had in my hand, I rushed inside, made out with the cashier and ordered a double. It was unbelievable. It also confirmed that French coffee is shit. Following Italy is tough so I wasn’t sure if their espresso was bad or just bad by comparison. Starbucks is a chain so if Starbucks is better then you, your coffee is shit. Or at least that’s my logic. Then again, I was ordering French espresso the whole time thinking it would get better so my logic isn’t that reliable.

As luck would have it, the Opera House wasn’t open when I got there so I just took pictures of the outside. Yes I realize this has turned into Pat’s Architectural Tour of Europe but whatever it has the word Europe in it so we all win. Here we go with the Opera House. Click the link in the 2nd paragraph for more information, including how the Phantom of the Opera was inspired by this building. It’s huge and super impressive – I just only have one picture because I couldn’t get inside.

IMG_1179

I continued along to the Arch and I ended up passing a church which said it belonged to Saint Augustine. Saints were rich apparently.

IMG_1185IMG_1184

When I arrived at the Arch the line wasn’t too long so I hopped right in. Here’s a photo of the outside and underside of the Arch.

IMG_1191IMG_1195

Here’s a photo of the 284 stairs I had to walk up:

IMG_1199IMG_1200

When I got to the top I had some great views of the city, which I think is the only reason why people would pay 10 Euro to walk up a 284-step spiral staircase. The Eiffel Tower is taller so it provides better views of the city, but it doesn’t provide very good views of itself. Arch to the rescue!

IMG_1203IMG_1208

IMG_1207IMG_1209

I walked back down the Arch and started my journey towards Napolean’s Tomb.

IMG_1214

Since I had walked everywhere today and didn’t take the subway, things weren’t looking good for the Tomb. I started walking towards the Louvre instead and took pictures of everything interesting that I passed. These include the Grand Palace, more Eiffel Tower, Pont Neuf (bridge), Louvre.

IMG_1220IMG_1221

IMG_1238IMG_1240

IMG_1233IMG_1243IMG_1244

After lunch I walked to Notre Dame but it was raining pretty hard and the lines were long so I only took a few pictures and then started back to the hotel. We had to leave in a few hours for the dinner & cabaret show and I was hoping to take a quick nap.

IMG_1263IMG_1270

The cabaret was at La Nouvelle Eve which Greg claims is better than Moulin Rouge. I have a picture of Moulin Rouge anyways because well it’s Moulin Rouge.

IMG_1276

The dinner was delicious and it was great to see a legit French cabaret show. I had Salmon Terrine as an appetizer, Chateaubriand with Bernaise sauce as main, a cheese sampler and ice cream. The show featured singing, dancing, flashing lights and variety acts. There were also lots of boobs. I fully excuse them for having shitty coffee now. The show let out at 12am and a handful of people that were flying out the next morning went home. I will miss them dearly. Here are Sarah and Scott leaving us for good.

IMG_1275

The rest of us went to a club to keep the party going – this was our last night after all. But not before Pip and I found some crepes! Yum. Nutella and Banana. Here are Sam and Pip us showing how it’s done.

IMG_1281

This was the end of Day 15. Tomorrow half the people will return to London and half will get dropped off at the airport. I will post tomorrow about London if anything interesting happens. Otherwise I am signing off and I will see you all in the States. And no offense to you, but I won’t be happy about it.

Love Patrick

Comments

  1. Patrick, WOW!!! An absolutely amazing, well deserved vacation/birthday present you have given to yourself. What an experience. Memories to last you forever.
    We have so enjoyed every step of your tour and Thank You for sharing it.
    Welcome home and Happy Birthday (in a few days)
    Gary & Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks for reading! It was cool to share this with everyone. I always give Erin crap for going to all those great places and never sending pics to those of us stuck behind a desk. Haha. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rhine Valley to Lucerne

Today was mostly a driving day. It was around three hours on the bus in the morning with an hour stop in the afternoon before leaving Germany. I believe it was somewhere in the black forest region but I didn’t get the name of the town because I was sleeping. We took some pics with a cool waterfall and I ate some kind of bratensteinwurst and then we  drove the last few hours to Lucerne. Waterfall action: Ashlee always asks to get in my pictures and then she stands there like I have a gun to her back. She’s so weird. Then we get to Lucerne in the late afternoon and stop at another of Contiki’s partners: Harry’s Swiss Watch Center. They sell Swiss army knives, watches and chocolate at excellent prices. I didn’t take any pictures of this shop because it was boring. Then I went outside to get Swiss Franks out of the ATM since we will be here for a few days and they don’t do the Euro thing. Because they’re independent. Or shady. This was taken near the ATM machine. The girls ask me to

Venice

ITALY HERE WE COME! You will not be surprised to hear that today was another crazy day in the land of Contiki. We left our Austria hotel at 8am and checked into our Venice hotel at 10pm. Here is what we did in between: First stop in Italy was a service station. They had real Italian pizza and paninis as well as free bathrooms for when you’re done with your Italian pizza and paninis. I was so excited about the thin crust, light sauce and italian salami that I had to take a picture. Delicious! Now off to Venice. Venice is an island and there are no vehicles allowed so we had two options to get there: a 2.5 hour walk from some place that I can’t remember or a 20 minute ferry ride across some body of water that I can’t remember. We chose the ferry. On the ferry I took some pictures of buildings that I can’t remember. Here they are: The port we docked at is right next to Saint Marc’s square. This is the most popular place for people to start their visit in Venice so it was pretty packe

Nice to Chateau

Well we have to leave Nice today. And it’s supposed to be sunny and fantastic. Oh well. Adil had the great idea to go down and see the sunrise before we left since yesterday was kind of a bust. Sunrise was around 6am which isn’t that bad – it’s like a work day – but I was up until 2am so I was pretty tired. I thought about just staying in bed but I would have regretted it and I had plenty of time to sleep on the bus so I rallied and went downstairs. We got there probably 20 minutes early and discovered that our lookout point was actually a homeless person’s bedroom. She was just waking up though so she invited us in for some tea and biscuits. It was nice. As the sunrise got closer, we realized that there was a flaw in our plan: Nice is in a bit of a cove (as is evident in my pictures yesterday) and the sun’s path was not something we considered. I just assumed it was more southerly (sure why not) and over the water. Here I point out Nice on the map. There is no way the sun would make