Skip to main content

Rome

ROMA! Ok today is going to be nuts. We are starting off with a guided tour of the Vatican which will take about two hours and then we have a free day with which I’m going to see as much of Rome as I can. SPOILER ALERT: I get home at 10:30pm tonight with blisters on my feet. IDIOT ALERT: I was wearing knock-off crocs that I bought at a service station.

Let’s start at the Vatican because that’s where we started.

IMG_0737

This is the entrance. Seems fitting. The line to get in the door goes around the building and out of sight. Being in a group and paying for a guided tour gets us past everyone – it’s worth it. We are told that the Vatican museum is the largest museum in the world – It spans 7 kilometers and 1300 rooms. We soon learn that they weren’t lying. Walking around Vatican city was one of the most overwhelming things I’ve ever done. Not from the heat or the size but from the magnitude and significance of the information. It was mind-numbing. I took some pictures although they don’t do the experience justice.

IMG_0752IMG_0755

IMG_0766IMG_0758

IMG_0762IMG_0764

IMG_0763IMG_0767IMG_0769

This is our guide Marilina. She described her name as Marilyn with an “ah” at the end. Of *course* there’s an “ah” at the end! On the right is a statue’s best interpretation of how I felt at this point in the tour. Next we go into the Sistine Chapel which I can’t show you because God said so. After that we head into St. Peter’s Basilica which is huge and filled with amazing things. I had the same problem with this tour guide as I had with the one in Venice: The accent made it very hard to understand her and absorb the things she was saying. So all I can give you are pictures, no background. Sorry.

IMG_0777IMG_0771IMG_0779

IMG_0784IMG_0781IMG_0786

IMG_0787

After the Vatican tour Greg took us to a pizza shop around the corner where you pay by weight. They are giant square pizzas of all varieties and you just tell them what size squares to cut from each one and they dice it up and weigh it. It was awesome. Then of course I had an espresso and started off for the rest of my day. My goals: The Coliseum, Bone Church, Pantheon, Leonardo Davinci exhibit. Here is how it all played out:

After getting separated from some people while crossing the street (I don’t know - I guess I’m 5 now), I took the metro to the Coliseum and met up with some other people. We paid for a guide because they help you skip the line and he also spoke to us for 45 minutes about the history of the Coliseum which was interesting. Post continues after the jump…

IMG_0789IMG_0799

IMG_0794IMG_0798

IMG_0823IMG_0819IMG_0832

The middle photo here is Constantine’s Arch but taking a picture of an arch is like taking a picture of the trees beyond the arch so this is a picture of the side instead. The photo on the right is of some ruins from the Roman Forum.

Next stop is the Pantheon and the walk will take us past the Victor Emmanuel monument - a monument to honor Victor Emmanuel, the first king of Italy. We walk everywhere in Rome because there is so much to see and also the bus schedule is in Italian. The interesting thing about the this monument is that it was built with such bright white stone and it’s so huge that during World War I it was used as a reference point for bombers and subsequently was never harmed in any attacks. It’s still as huge and bright as ever. If I’m not a good enough reference point, the platform that the horse is standing on is the size of a 20-person dinner table if each person had already eaten 20 dinners. I may have that stat wrong but it’s tremendous.

IMG_0840

IMG_0835IMG_0838

Then the Pantheon. The Pantheon is free admission (unlike most buildings in Rome) but some idiot tried to charge us 1 Euro to walk up the side steps instead of the front steps. Love it. So after we all paid him I took some pics of the hole in the roof because I think that’s all it’s famous for. You can tell I’m getting tired.

IMG_0855IMG_0843

After the Pantheon we stopped at a gelato place on our way to the DaVinci exhibit. It was heavily guarded so we had to go somewhere else.

IMG_0847

The DaVinci exhibit was brilliant. Some scholars and craftsmen from around Italy built a bunch of his sketches to scale using materials from his day. I swear this guy was an alien. No person can be this unbelievably talented and intelligent without being an alien. He had drawings in his notebooks on everything from human physiology to ball bearings to wooden tanks to flying machines. There wasn’t any topic that he wasn’t exploring or theorizing about and most of it was centuries ahead of it’s time. I spent almost two hours here before I met up with some people for dinner.

IMG_0851IMG_0852

Dinner was more delicious Italian food finished with probably the best Tiramasu I’ve ever had.

I never made it to the Bone Church because they closed at six and I spent too long with DaVinci. Oh well. I don’t understand where bones are going that they need to close at six but whatever.

Then my adventure home:

The last Contiki bus to the hotel was picking everyone up from the train station at 8:30 so we headed for the subway around 7:30. The subway station was under construction or we’re just retarded so we were routed halfway across town (underground) to a bus terminal nowhere near the subway we needed. By this time it was 8pm and we still can’t read Italian so we skip the city buses and walk to the nearest subway station and hop the subway. After finally getting to the train station which will take us to our Contiki bus, it’s 8:45 and we’ve missed the last pickup. The train is scheduled to come at 9:06 but shows up at 9:36 and we get to our hotel train station at 10pm. Our hotel is a 30 minute walk from the train station (which is why the Contiki bus was offering pickups) so we finally got home at 10:30. I was laughing most of the way because we had walked for like 12 straight hours already and I was wearing knock-off crocs that I bought at a service station. Did you follow all of that? Me either. I missed the bus.

That was the end of a very long, very hot, very awesome, very wordy Day 9.

I’m still a day behind (Florence) and we just got to Nice so pretty soon I’ll be two days behind. Tomorrow it might rain so I’ll catch up then. If it doesn’t rain I’ll be at the beach. Ciao!

Comments

  1. Hey Patrick these r awesome pics. I am sure you are having a blast. Miss ya
    Annaliah yes with Ah. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are starting to sound a little grumpy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you too Annaliah! haha. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom I sound grumpy? I did write the second half of this on the bus today and I was pretty tired. But no I'm good. Just got home from seeing a band play with everyone - going to take it easy tomorrow on the beach. Thanks love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Coliseum is insane, i cant believe its basically been there since beginning of civilization. I'm overwhelmed and im at my freakin cubicle. i hope my girlfriend reads this: we must go to Italy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rhine Valley to Lucerne

Today was mostly a driving day. It was around three hours on the bus in the morning with an hour stop in the afternoon before leaving Germany. I believe it was somewhere in the black forest region but I didn’t get the name of the town because I was sleeping. We took some pics with a cool waterfall and I ate some kind of bratensteinwurst and then we  drove the last few hours to Lucerne. Waterfall action: Ashlee always asks to get in my pictures and then she stands there like I have a gun to her back. She’s so weird. Then we get to Lucerne in the late afternoon and stop at another of Contiki’s partners: Harry’s Swiss Watch Center. They sell Swiss army knives, watches and chocolate at excellent prices. I didn’t take any pictures of this shop because it was boring. Then I went outside to get Swiss Franks out of the ATM since we will be here for a few days and they don’t do the Euro thing. Because they’re independent. Or shady. This was taken near the ATM machine. The girls ask me to

Venice

ITALY HERE WE COME! You will not be surprised to hear that today was another crazy day in the land of Contiki. We left our Austria hotel at 8am and checked into our Venice hotel at 10pm. Here is what we did in between: First stop in Italy was a service station. They had real Italian pizza and paninis as well as free bathrooms for when you’re done with your Italian pizza and paninis. I was so excited about the thin crust, light sauce and italian salami that I had to take a picture. Delicious! Now off to Venice. Venice is an island and there are no vehicles allowed so we had two options to get there: a 2.5 hour walk from some place that I can’t remember or a 20 minute ferry ride across some body of water that I can’t remember. We chose the ferry. On the ferry I took some pictures of buildings that I can’t remember. Here they are: The port we docked at is right next to Saint Marc’s square. This is the most popular place for people to start their visit in Venice so it was pretty packe

Nice to Chateau

Well we have to leave Nice today. And it’s supposed to be sunny and fantastic. Oh well. Adil had the great idea to go down and see the sunrise before we left since yesterday was kind of a bust. Sunrise was around 6am which isn’t that bad – it’s like a work day – but I was up until 2am so I was pretty tired. I thought about just staying in bed but I would have regretted it and I had plenty of time to sleep on the bus so I rallied and went downstairs. We got there probably 20 minutes early and discovered that our lookout point was actually a homeless person’s bedroom. She was just waking up though so she invited us in for some tea and biscuits. It was nice. As the sunrise got closer, we realized that there was a flaw in our plan: Nice is in a bit of a cove (as is evident in my pictures yesterday) and the sun’s path was not something we considered. I just assumed it was more southerly (sure why not) and over the water. Here I point out Nice on the map. There is no way the sun would make