Skip to main content

Venice to Rome

And onward! I’m not sure why but Venice was my favorite city so far. It was just so unique with it’s seemingly random layout of streets and canals. I think the lack of motor vehicles contributed also. Well we only got to spend an afternoon/evening there and now we are leaving for Rome at 8am. Apparently it’s like a six hour drive but the coach is only allowed to drive for three hours at a clip which works for us because we all have bladders and stomachs. There isn’t much noteworthy on the drive except the lack of toilet seats at service stations. I guess everyone in this part of the country is good at squatting or they figured out how to levitate. Some stations didn’t have toilets at all – just holes in the floor. My only guess is that they spent their toilet money on accordions which was a shitty move. Get it?  Moving on…

We arrived in Rome around 4pm and checked into our hotel before going into the city which we haven’t done in awhile. It will be nice to get home later and already have our junk in our room so we could just go crash. They showed us some of the main attractions (or at least where they are so we could see them tomorrow) and take us to dinner. On the way we learn that if you are Italian and have a motorized vehicle, you can do whatever the hell you want. If you only have two wheels on your vehicle, you might as well be Jesus. People were blowing through red lights with just a wave of their hand. Others were stopping at red lights and then going through when they felt it was ok. Still others were just driving into oncoming traffic if they wanted to pass someone. Scooters would hop curbs and driving on city sidewalks if they got bored with the regular roads. It was insane.

Dinner tonight was buffet style and not as formal but the food was tastier than last night. The spread included mozzarella & tomato, cold meats and cheeses, bruschetta and some kind of vegetable risotto. Dinner was chicken, pork, potatoes, pasta and vegetables. Our dessert was Panna Cotta which I never had before and probably won’t have again. It has the texture of flan and seems like it wants to be cheesecake but no one ever gave it the chance.

After dinner Greg showed us as many sights as he could before it got late which was really awesome. To have this gigantic coach bus and maneuver it around all the crowded streets and crazy drivers is no small feat. I’m happy they did though because the monuments at night are a whole different experience. I’ll finish this post with all of the pics I took with Tracey’s camera and I’ll fill in what I remember. I remember I had tiramasu and amaratto gelatto in the square…and that might be it. Sorry. Adam you can take it from here!

IMG_3045IMG_3046

This is Trevi Fountain. Next to it is a terrible pic someone took of me in front of Trevi Fountain. You can’t even see the fountain. I know I look good, but I shouldn’t be the main subject in a photo that involves ancient Roman architecture.

IMG_3065

This is a photo of a bunch of people in Piazza di Spagna on the Spanish Steps. See if you can find me! I may or may not be wearing the exact same clothes as I was wearing in the photo above it.

IMG_3073IMG_3081

Church Something above the Spanish Steps. The Pantheon.

IMG_3075

Random pic I took of the group where Greg was the only one who looked and the only thing in focus. I have no idea how I did this but it came out awesome. Thank you Tracey’s magic camera.

My tribute to Tracey because it’s her camera and because I love her:

IMG_3064IMG_3067IMG_3109

IMG_3080

On to some night pictures!

IMG_3127IMG_3129

Four Rivers Fountain in Piazza Novana.

IMG_3151IMG_3150

The Coliseum!

IMG_3158

OUR GROUP!

IMG_3162IMG_3172

Arch of Constantine!  St Peter’s Basilica!

IMG_3161IMG_3176

Buildings with random people in front of them!

Well that’s pretty much it for tonight. Except this one last pic of me and Tracey. Because it’s her camera. And because I love her.

IMG_3174

Day 8 gone forever!

Comments

  1. Where's Waldo..........

    I found you.....leaning on the foundation of statue. Oh sorry now everyone else will find you.

    Barb & Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. what happened to your camera????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the camera is fine - I left the memory card in my laptop. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick, Shaun and I are hanging out with your mom, dad and grandma reading your blog. Your pictures are great and you look like you're having so much fun!

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thanks! Yeah I'm doing my best! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rhine Valley to Lucerne

Today was mostly a driving day. It was around three hours on the bus in the morning with an hour stop in the afternoon before leaving Germany. I believe it was somewhere in the black forest region but I didn’t get the name of the town because I was sleeping. We took some pics with a cool waterfall and I ate some kind of bratensteinwurst and then we  drove the last few hours to Lucerne. Waterfall action: Ashlee always asks to get in my pictures and then she stands there like I have a gun to her back. She’s so weird. Then we get to Lucerne in the late afternoon and stop at another of Contiki’s partners: Harry’s Swiss Watch Center. They sell Swiss army knives, watches and chocolate at excellent prices. I didn’t take any pictures of this shop because it was boring. Then I went outside to get Swiss Franks out of the ATM since we will be here for a few days and they don’t do the Euro thing. Because they’re independent. Or shady. This was taken near the ATM machine. The girls ask me to

Venice

ITALY HERE WE COME! You will not be surprised to hear that today was another crazy day in the land of Contiki. We left our Austria hotel at 8am and checked into our Venice hotel at 10pm. Here is what we did in between: First stop in Italy was a service station. They had real Italian pizza and paninis as well as free bathrooms for when you’re done with your Italian pizza and paninis. I was so excited about the thin crust, light sauce and italian salami that I had to take a picture. Delicious! Now off to Venice. Venice is an island and there are no vehicles allowed so we had two options to get there: a 2.5 hour walk from some place that I can’t remember or a 20 minute ferry ride across some body of water that I can’t remember. We chose the ferry. On the ferry I took some pictures of buildings that I can’t remember. Here they are: The port we docked at is right next to Saint Marc’s square. This is the most popular place for people to start their visit in Venice so it was pretty packe

Nice to Chateau

Well we have to leave Nice today. And it’s supposed to be sunny and fantastic. Oh well. Adil had the great idea to go down and see the sunrise before we left since yesterday was kind of a bust. Sunrise was around 6am which isn’t that bad – it’s like a work day – but I was up until 2am so I was pretty tired. I thought about just staying in bed but I would have regretted it and I had plenty of time to sleep on the bus so I rallied and went downstairs. We got there probably 20 minutes early and discovered that our lookout point was actually a homeless person’s bedroom. She was just waking up though so she invited us in for some tea and biscuits. It was nice. As the sunrise got closer, we realized that there was a flaw in our plan: Nice is in a bit of a cove (as is evident in my pictures yesterday) and the sun’s path was not something we considered. I just assumed it was more southerly (sure why not) and over the water. Here I point out Nice on the map. There is no way the sun would make